1. Decide on a place to go, how to get there and how to get home, the number going and the supplies needed.
2. Walk on left side of highway facing approaching vehicles and in single file.
3. Wear comfortable shoes.
4. Stay with group and obey instructions of the leader. Never go off planned route into strange swamps, woods or fields.
5. Stay away from the bank of swiftly moving water and places where there might be quicksand.
6. Watch out for snakes and other deadly insects and poisonous vegetations.
7. Get off highways when resting.
8. Plan to return before dark and be sure you know how to get back home.