1. Install dead-bolt locks and chain locks on all doors, and use them.
2. Don't leave spare keys under the doormat, over the door or in a flower pot. They'll be found.
3. Don't depend on easily opened snap locks.
4. Sliding doors are easy to force. Forestall this by laying a small rod in the guide track between the door frame and the wall casing.
5. Don't leave valuables where they can be seen from the outside. Burglars are easily tempted.
You can't make a man honest, but you can make it harder for him to be dishonest. By taking needed precautions you'll protect your own interests and those of all whom God has committed to your care.